Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day of Firsts


                This morning, for the first time in my life, a rooster actually woke me up. After a quick breakfast and a face-paced walk through back woods, narrow dirt paths, and inevitable wrong turns, we made it to work at 7:30am, just in time for the doctors meeting. There, young doctors from all over the world used this time to vent about the system, a tough patient, or one they were really worried about, then they all went their separate ways to make rounds all around the 10 acre hospital. I followed the doctor who was in charge of the female ward today.
                Never in my life have I seen so many young, beautiful women, decimated by disease, and yearning for the power to take their next breaths. In every section of the female ward, women were dying of opportunistic infections complicated by their HIV+ status. As we made rounds, we passed a woman who was 32 years old, 5’7” and 88 pounds. As I watched the doctor examine her, we realized she was taking her last breaths… I helped the nurses find her family information, and fill out the death certificate; there is no resuscitation in the female ward. I watched for the first time in my life, someone die, and honestly to see that she was not in pain, that she was tired, struck by a “bout” of social circumstance and chance, she just seemed tired.
 In 2 hours, the doctor had examined, checked treatment adherence, and spoken to (in broken Zulu), more than 50 admitted patients, the majority of who were under 30. After helping out (minimally) during a spinal drainage procedure on a woman with a CD4 cell count of 28, who had developed bacteria spinal meningitis, and helping during a lung drainage procedure on a girl who was 20 (my age) who had HIV and TB and telling here everything will be alright and actually seeing her smile and calling me sister… it was definitely time for a lunch break/ break for sanity.
The doctor who I was shadowing luckily took a break with me, and reminded me that for many patients in rural South Africa, they do not come to the hospital until they are gravely ill, and therefore I should be not be discouraged by the sights seen, and surprisingly, after seeing blood, fluid, and tissue come from places that I KNOW they should not belong …I was completely fine. After lunch, I returned just in time to sit in on a C-section and for the first time ever, see a person being born (I know, ironic).  It was amazing. The mother was 21, and very, very small, but she did an awesome job, although she was asleep. (And no, everyone, I was not queasy, I did not sweat, and it was actually quite fascinating to see how resilient the body is).
Seeing the mental, physical, and spiritual resilience, and hearing “ngbonga” or thank you from girls my age who were missing school to sit and die thanking me for simply  standing next to them with a mask on, and holding their hand with latex gloves on, completely separated, put a lot of things in perspective. In many ways, I am not sure how or if I can help, or even how or what I can learn, but I know that no matter what , being thankful, humble, and willing to do the things many people won’t do because they are too proud, makes God smile.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Princess that sounds like an intense day you had. I'm so proud of u! I'm sure that the maternity ward was incredibly interesting. You know I watch TLC and those doctor shows all the time... I'm really interested to hear more about those experiences. Isn't it so amazing to see what doctors go through everyday and the irony of hospitals in general? In a matter of hours you saw a life lost and a new life come into the world. TIS THE CIRCLE OF LIFE MY FRIEND! *cue lion king soundtrack* LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear lauren,
    you made God smile today.
    your love and caring -- even if it is holding a hand -- means so much.
    love you.
    proud of you.
    happy for you and the grace/respect/love you've given to others.
    GBWY,
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    I am amazed at all that you have seen and shared. Your experiences are God's awesome gifts to you. I am so proud of you. The doctor is only one part of what is needed. I am certain that your presence makes a big difference because your care. Love you Aunt Neasie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren ! I finally accessed the link and read all of your posts in one sitting. You are doing a fantastic job of describing your experiences; the patient care experience is so poignant. Traveling abroad allows us to see how Americans take so much for granted. Imagine all of the wasteful practices we see every day. Poverty is universal, its sad but true that many residents of some rural areas in the United States share similar experiences with those that reside in Manguzi. I'm sure this experience will have a positive impact upon you and your future endeavors ! You are making a difference in the lives of those that you have an opportunity to touch :) Take care and be safe. :)
    Love Always, Uncle Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Kinda heavy! Great job sweety!
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela Johnson BakerJune 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM

    Lauren! How sad! I can tell this experience is making you draw on everything spiritual to help cope with such hopelessness. You are an angel to the patients and I know you be such a gift in the health field after caring for people so destitute and sick. So many are around your age so I know this exposure is hard for you. I can't wait to show this to Ginger! I'm proud to know you.
    Pamela Johnson Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. battinto batts, sr.June 8, 2011 at 7:09 AM

    Lauren,

    I am deeply touched by the experiences/observations you described. This is a spiritual journey, and your concern for others, [the voiceless & underserved], stands as a tribute to your upbringing and your faith. No doubt, your commitment, and care will have a lasting impact on all you encounter. Hopefully, your lead, in this regard, will motivate many to follow in your footsteps.

    I look forward to your blog updates.

    Peace,

    Battinto L. Batts, Sr.
    Richmond, VA

    ReplyDelete