Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Holistic Approach to Life!


Quite often, my relationship with God has led me to believe in the importance of finding God within oneself. Today, I found out something way more important: finding God with other people… but we’ll get to that later.
                This weekend, I unfortunately didn’t have any epiphanies, but I did have a blast with Tori and Elizabeth and our host family. Friday night, we spent the evening watching the sunset and dancing to Zulu hip-hop outside with our host Mama, her sister Nqobile (pronounced “click”- bee-lay), Mama’s daughter Fanele, Nqobile’s son, and a host of their nieces and nephews (our host Mama is the kids’ favorite aunt because she’s young and cool J ). We danced traditional and modern South African Zulu dances, and looked at the stars as the sun went down. I realized, then, that although at this time in my life, I spend lots of time away from my family while in college, during breaks, and during summer, there is nothing in this world and this life like family. Dancing with Bandile who is 3 and calls me “Titi” (colloquial for aunt in Zulu) made me miss my niece and nephews, and watching our host Mama smile at her mom who lives in her own house next door, and her two brothers who live across the small field, made me miss my own village of great people who raised me. Nonetheless, I danced as if my own family was there smiling and singing for their lives!
                Sunday was filled with surprises. Our host Mama took us on an adventure to Kosi Bay, the mouth to the Indian Ocean which is a short 20 minute drive from our home in Manguzi. It was BREATHTAKING pictures just don’t do it justice. On one side is the freshwater sound, many use it for small scale fishing, and on the other is a small cove about the size of a few football fields… when you swim/wade/walk across the cove, on the other side of the sand dunes are the HUGE, blue rolling waves of the Indian ocean, and 200 meters up the beach, are the sands of Mozambique! Unfortunately, I didn’t get pictures of the huge waves, because I swam across the cove, but use your imagination people! It was amazing. After spending a few hours at the beach our host Mama drove us to the border, where we met up with her friends and her cousin (our go to guy), Lucky. There we met a few of her friends from Mozambique, and while we waited for dinner, we practiced our Spanish. By the time our freshly cooked dinner was ready, we ate by candlelight. Whole grilled chicken, fresh onions, peppers, and tomatoes in cold vinegar, and chips (like home fries). It was absolutely amazing...
                Now onto this epiphany I had today. God blesses us with innate passions, wants, and desires, and because we all are unique beings, we all may want different things for ourselves and our lives, but at the end (or the beginning depending on how you look at it), we all want to be loved. Quite often, western medicine and culture is very critical of that deemed “traditional”, even the word “traditional” evokes images of that which is “old”, “outdated”, and “unchallenged”, but perhaps traditional is traditional because of the idea that is works, has worked, and is working. Zulu medicine in South Africa is one that has come under increased scrutiny by the government and the public health department of South Africa and the KwaZulu-Natal province. However, after seeing the overcrowded, impersonal, sometimes painful experience of patients who wait for hours, sometimes days to be seen by tired, underpaid, and overworked doctors, only to be given pills (with no explanation because of the language barrier), and given a date to come back in two weeks. Even in Manguzi hospital, one that is infrastructurally sound, smiles are thin, and understanding of comfort minimal.
                It brings one to think, if my uncle who I knew my whole life was a Sangoma (a “witch doctor”) who had years of experience, numerous herbs, and had healed everyone I knew could help me as soon as I cried in pain, why would I visit a big, cold scary compound to be met with a patient number, prodding needles, doctors who can’t even speak my own language, and waiting lines for days… literally, days?  Fortunately, as we have seen in the nicest hospitals in the United States and many in Asian countries, western medicine CAN heal mind, body, and soul, it simply requires the attention, patience, and often sacrifices of the health care providers. Of course, all of this is easier said than done, and these same problems persist in the United States, but don’t we, as human beings, living things who require human interaction and security as much as we require food and sleep, understand the importance of nurturing the mind and spirit while simultaneously healing the body?
                I guess not…  
PICTTUREESSSS

Actually due to technical difficulties (dial-up speed internet in the freaking woods!) I will no longer be posting pictures! You all will simply have to wait patiently until I return to Durban (on June 24) to see great pictures.
Sorry :-(

5 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    I am so happy to read this blog! As always, you give me pause to put all the craziness into proper perspective! You are extremely insightful! And, I believe you are right-on! We miss you very much and can't wait to see you in July! Please post at least every two days ....you know how I worry! :-)

    Love you!
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey P.

    I see a lot of wisdom in your words. I have read your post "Day of Firsts" several times and it is difficult to express the pride that I feel in you.

    I am glad that you had a great time at Kosi Bay, and you have confirmed what I have heard about it being very spectacular.

    I think that it is great that you are so close to Mozambique; and that you will cross the border while you are in the area.

    I have a friend who is Sudanese and taught African history at William and Mary prior to retiring a year ago. But he also has done a lot of study of "Traditional Medicine." I think that you might enjoy meeting him, once you return from South Africa and he returns from Sudan.

    Well, your posts are awesome and inspiring; keep them coming if you have the time. Enjoy yourself, be safe and know that we all love you.

    Uncle Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,lauren,
    i've so enjoyed reading each of your posts. you can paint wonderful pictures with your words and relate interesting stories and ideas. each post makes me think.
    but i WILL be happy to see your actual photos, particularly of your host family, the folks at the hospital and kosi bay. what a wonderful way to usher in the weekend!
    for those who want to see photos, go to google and type in "kosi bay photos." they show how spectacular it is!
    all of your family misses you and loves you. even though you're a world away, we are all one spirit!
    ukuthula,
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren:
    what a great host family and mama you have! Your eloquent writing and insightfulness are so powerful and thought provoking. I was almost moved to tears while reading about the Friday night family gathering underneath the stars.

    Yes, you realize that we only pass this way but once and we have to make a difference whenever the opportunity presents itself. You have really touched upon some interesting topics in which I have actually spent a great deal of time studying. The development and nuturing of the Body, mind, and spirit are at the core of the "Bushido Way". A person cannot go wrong adhering to this eastern (japanese) philosophy.

    Also, in the field of counseling, we study many theorist that assist with developing our counseling orientation. One of my favorites, William Glasser is noted for his "reality" or "choice" therapy. He suggests that people have five core needs: survival, power, love or belonging, fun and freedom. I really adhere to this theory as well.

    Keep on digging, searching and discovering. I am so happy to hear your spiritual growth. I believe that God is a spirit that manifests himself in people-like you :)

    i've been under the weather the past few days but i'm good, now. I know this serene asian gentlemen, who owns a dry cleaner next to my office. I was sharing with him my difficulties with asthma. He pressed his index fingers into both sides of my stomach and told me that "My hernia was tight" ? and that i had thick blood (cholesterol) and heart problems. He's going to work with me to aleviate some of my symptoms. I'm gonna listen to him too. Isn't it amazing how that works.

    Keep writing and please be safe
    love always,
    Uncle Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you already know that this post in particular touches my heart and soul. God is and continues to live within each of us...it is just up to all of us and human beings to find that presence within ourselves and others. This is why you are my best friend and soul-sistaa! Love you boo!

    ReplyDelete